Wednesday, June 12, 2013


I like the structure of the project overview form. It really helps me ground my project idea in reality. I tend to be really good at coming up with ideas and big picture concepts and schemes, but not as good at the nitty gritty and making sure they are realistic. Having a template like this makes me go over my idea with a fine tooth comb and ask myself over and over again…”Is this doing what it should be?”

My original idea was to have students become masters of their environment by pursuing a project in which they can end up being the teachers, and to create a resource for others to use to learn more about their environment. It is a neat idea, but I didn’t really think in too great a detail about how the students were going to do this. I had vague ideas about picture guides created, videos produced, keys  and databases and stories created and recorded.  I wanted the students to get in touch with experts in the field they were focusing on. After that it got…..blurry.

 

The project overview made me sit down and think about how everything would work out. I had to think of a realistic timeline, and what information they would need to be able to do their projects. It also made me realize a significant hole in my idea- what is the use of a resource if no one knows about it? So marketing the website became part of the project.

1 comment:

  1. Jenna, I agree that the project overview grounded our project ideas and provided a tool to reflect on our learning goals and link actions to our standards. I think your ideas are worthwhile and the learning that your students will gain is valuable. Research, collaboration, documenting, and data base creation are all real-world skills that students will need to compete in the 21st century job market, not to mention that importance of marketing. I think that you discovered another essential skill to teach your students in getting word out there about their projects. Well done!

    ReplyDelete