Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Podcast



The podcast software was surprisingly easy to work with.  I am very glad of this, as I think I am getting a cold and I really didn’t want to fight with a computer too much today. Mostly, the idea of recording my voice and then posting it as a podcast seemed very surreal to me-  as I said in my podcast, I felt like I was recording one of those apocalypse type videos where whoever is the last person living records a video to tell future people how they all died, and to not make the same mistakes again.

So, for future people looking to not make the same mistakes:

·         My computer is a very basic model, and it is old, so a lot of the software didn’t want to play on my operating system. This led to cursing, tears, and then trying to figure out what download I could use to make it work. 

·         Because of said computer, none of the videos and tutorials worked for me, since I was missing buttons or other things most people apparently have.

·         As a teacher, I need to not assume students have access to all of this technology- if I want them to use something, I need to make sure they have access to it, either at school, at the library, at home, or as a check out. This is especially important given where I want to work- there are a lot of low income families.

·         I am a very outdoors, hands on person, so I don’t immediately think of technology as a way to get kids in touch with nature, but through videos and pictures and such this could definitely work.

1 comment:

  1. Jenna, I have enjoyed reading your project ideas. Thank you for sharing your learning journey with me and others. I completely understand your frustration at times with the technology, but think about how much we have learned through this process. I think you are 100% correct about ensuring that our students have access to the technology that we expect them to use in our projects and other learning opportunities. My school is in a very poor area and we have limited resources. But we are creative and we can find ways around these challenges to offer students the 21st century skills that they need. Thank you again for a project well done.

    ReplyDelete